Saturday, August 30, 2008

Graceful, in the morning light


Voices as clear as a mountain stream, backed up by years of clean honesty, a little madness, and no hint of pretension. First Aid Kit are two teenage girls from Sweden, Johanna and Klara (17 and 15, respectively) have made something wondrously special. This song was recorded in a Swedish forest, see the video here (look at them!!!). I think I like it better than the original, and Fleet Foxes have made some of my favourite music of the year. The darkness, confusion and regret that's in this song, sung with especial urgency in the lines: 'I don't know what I have done, I'm turning myself into a demon...' is especially poignant when sung by such young'ins. You wonder what could have happened to these girls, they seem as old as the forest, and make it all seem so much more than teen angst.

No comments: