Saturday, January 23, 2010

I've got a thrist for liquid gold






Owen Pallett - Lewis Takes Action

[Heartland]

"While working on Heartland, I was getting this strange feeling... seeing videos of The-Dream making hits in a manner of hours. Hearing about Jona Bechtolt programming songs in twenty minutes. Meanwhile I was taking a full eleven months to produce this record, and working on it day and night. The very nature of it, featuring a fifty-piece strong section, full percussion, winds and brass... it seemed so proposterous, especially given that 80% of the people who'll hear it will be listening to freely downloaded mp3s on laptop speakers.

One of the things that kept me sane about it, was to read these gigantic, overblown classics of literature. Ulysses; sure, but also Complete Proust, Moby Dick and Gravity's Rainbow. I'd read one of those National Geographic style "anatomy of a whale" chapters of Moby Dick and feel like Herman was holding my hand, saying 'There, there, it'll be alright.'"

Owen Pallett on the torture garden.

I think this is one of the most noble and moving things I've read about music recently. I have real groundbreaking emotional moments listening to this record and thinking of the hard work and isolation that went into this project and how Mr. Pallett created an epic and beautiful piece of art that will endure and hopefully be appreciated how it's supposed to be appreciated.

No comments: