Friday, October 9, 2009

But it's like we weren't made for this world... though I wouldn't really wanna meet someone who was



GRIN MAGIC'S FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF THE 00s


All these end of the decade lists popping up around various corners of the internet have made me want to jump on this retrospective band wagon. Because it would be impossible for me put my favourites in order I've decided to give a song and album with a short write up about why I love it, in no particular order, approximately one a week till the end of the year.

A dizzying triumph of self inspection, soul wrenching terror, longing and raw emotional vulnerability, Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? is one of my favourite albums from the last ten years. Kevin Barnes pushes all he can onto this record, the darkest and most desperate parts of human emotion, the battle with the chemistry of the brain and a grapple for control whether through fanatical escapism, funky grooves or head long, hysterical, self loathing. This album sparkles in the most suprising ways, always richly melodic and abounding in lyricals gems it seems to demand attachment as it's as hard to ignore this kind of emotive power as much as it is to ignore great pop music.


'...our particles are in motion...'

[buy]

No comments: