Sunday, October 11, 2009

I tried to forget you, I tried to forget you


GRIN MAGIC'S FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF THE 00s



All these end of the decade lists popping up around various corners of the internet have made me want to jump on this retrospective band wagon. Because it would be impossible for me put my favourites in order I've decided to give a song and album with a short write up about why I love it, in no particular order, approximately one a week till the end of the year.


Electrelane's No Shouts, No Calls is a quiet achievement by an all girl group from Brighton, one of my favourite places in the world. It's not production-slick, grit free or perfect but to me, it glows with real feelings and melodies. Filled with heart felt harmonies, call and response vocals, splatterings of organs and occasional raucuous guitar meanderings it's definitely one of my favourite albums of the last ten years.






Electrelane - Saturday

You are quivering with excitement over some new project you have, probably an amplifier that sounds like it's fallen down three flights of stairs and pictures that are like looking through a dirty windscreen with a sunset behind it. Cute, I say, squatting down with you and rolling my eyes, hiding my grin in my sleeve. You, self aware and brazen, push me over and pull on my pigtails. I remember this while brushing the dirt off of a creased photo I found of you and me in the shit I cleared out of my car, with a silver spoon, bills, so many empty cigarette packets and a old, ratty jacket.

[myspace]

[buy]

No comments: